Wednesday 27 June 2018

Selfies | Junque Journal | Vicki Boutin

Hi friends!

Today I'm sharing a new entry in my Vicki Boutin Junque Journal! Are you playing along with Vicki’s Junque Journal Summer Camp challenge? It’s so much fun, and I’m loving being able to play and experiment with all of my Vicki Boutin mixed media goodies in my junque journal! I’m using my journal as a mini album to document photos from last Summer (which is providing a nice distraction from the very cold weather that we’re having here in Australia at the moment!). 

I’ve combined quite a few of the June prompts on these pages, and created a few layers on my background. But don’t feel intimidated if you’re just getting started with mixed media… Keep it simple and just do one prompt at a time. Then once you feel comfortable with each one, then you can start using them together to build up layers. 

So the prompts that I used on these pages were… 

#7 Copycat – I loved the colours that Nathalie used on one of her pages that she shared last week, and so I used this as inspiration for the colours that I used on these pages. 

#10 Matte Gel Medium – I applied the Matte Gel Medium through a stencil. 

#16 Mix It – I mixed my art crayons to create new colours. 

#19 Stencil 

#20 Stamps 

#21 Layers 

#25 Kiss It – I applied my art crayons using the ‘kissing’ technique 

Here are the pages that I created… 


 Here’s how I created my background… 

First I taped the two pages together with washi tape at the back, and then I applied a thin coat of gesso to the background to prime it for the wet mediums. 

· Next I applied the matte gel medium through the circle stencil using a palette knife. I didn’t apply it to my whole background, just to various areas, so that it would create some texture and interest. 


Once the matte gel medium was dry, I applied the art crayons using the ‘kissing’ technique. To do this, you simply scribble the art crayons onto some plastic packaging, or a sheet of acetate, and then using your water brush add a little water and mix the pigment with the water to create a watercolour. To apply it to your page, you just gently ‘kiss’ the packaging to your cardstock. I also used my water brush to move the colour around a little on the background. Because I was using both warm and cool colours on this page, I made sure that the warm colours were completely dry before applying the cool colours. That way I avoided making ‘muddy’ colours when they mix together. 


For the final layer on my background, I added some stamping using the Vicki Boutin circle stamps with the Color Wheel pigment inks. I wanted a tone-on-tone look, so I stamped using the same colours that I’d already used on my background with the art crayons. 


And that was it for the background! It was really just three layers of mixed media to create a fun, colourful and textured background! It’s easy once you know how to do each of those layers! 

So once I was done with the background, I was ready to add my photos and start embellishing! I decided on documenting two fun selfies of me with my three kids on this page, as I thought the colourful background would really complement them! I added them to the left hand page, and I adhered the bottom one using craft foam to give it some extra dimension. 


I fussy cut some of the gorgeous butterflies out of the ‘Social Butterfly’ patterned paper to use on my pages. I added one to the left of the top photo, just adding glue to the centre of the butterfly so that the wings would lift off the page. I then added my title at the top of the page, using the Vicki Boutin chipboard Thickers. 


Here’s a closer look at the right hand page, where you can see all of that gorgeous colour and texture on the background. 


I added my journaling to this page, using one of the journaling tags from the ‘All the Good Things’ die cut frames pack. I also layered a cardstock sticker across the bottom of it, and tucked a fussy-cut butterfly under the sticker to create a little cluster. 


I finished the page off with a couple more butterflies, and some enamel dots. 


Thanks so much for joining me today! I hope you enjoyed taking a closer look at my pages. If you’d like to watch how I created them you can check out my process video over on my YouTube channel… 


Supplies Used:
Junque Journal 
Junque Journal Refills – White Paper 
Gesso 
Acrylic Gel - Matte 
Art Crayons #1 – Warm 
Art Crayons #2 – Cool 
Color Wheel Pigment Inks – Cool Tones 
Color Wheel Pigment Inks – Warm Tones 
Stencils 
Stamp & Dies – Set 3 
Watercolor Brushes 
Cardstock Stickers 
Self-Adhesive Finishing Embellishments 
Thickers – Alpha/B&W Chipboard 
Cardstock Die-Cuts – Frames 
Double-sided patterned paper – Social Butterfly 


No comments:

Post a Comment