Saturday 24 February 2018

Junque Journal Cover | Vicki Boutin

Hey friends!

I’m happy to be back sharing a new Vicki Boutin design team project with you! This week we are focusing on the Junque Journals, and I had so much fun adding some mixed media and embellishments to the front of my journal! I’ve been deciding on what to use my journal for, and I’m thinking that I’ll use this one as a mini album. My eldest two kids have just gone back to school after 7 weeks of school holidays, and I thought it would be fun to use my Junque Journal to document all of the fun things that we did over the summer! The beauty of these journals though, is that you can use them however you like!

Here’s a look at what I did on the cover of my Junque Journal…


I’m going to show you how I created the mixed media background for my cover by giving you a step-by-step tutorial. It was a super easy and fun, so maybe you can give it a try too!

1) Add a strip of washi tape down the edge of the spine so that you don’t have to worry about your mixed media getting on the fabric spine cover. Next, cover the entire cover with white gesso. This will give you a good base for adding your mixed media onto.


2) Choose three colours of acrylic paint – I used Juicy Pear, Blue Hawaiian, and Sugared Strawberry (these are all part of set 3 of the Color Pop Paints). Next paint the cover of your journal with one of the lighter colours from the ones that you’ve chosen. I let mine dry and then gave it a second coat, to build up the vibrancy of the colour a bit more.


3) Once the first colour is dry, apply a second colour of paint through a stencil on the bottom right hand corner of the cover and the top left hand corner. I used the Blue Hawaiian paint and one of Vicki’s new stencils.


4) Next choose another stencil that has a smaller pattern than the first one, and apply your third colour of paint through this stencil. I chose the Sugared Strawberry as my third colour because I wanted it to contrast with the cooler colours that I’d used for the first two layers. I think this really helps the background to ‘pop’! I also mixed this paint with the Vicki Boutin Iridescent Glaze to make it a bit thicker and give it some sparkle! I love how this makes it look more dimensional when applied through the stencil, and it looks so pretty and shimmery!!


5) The last thing that I did on the background was splatter some watered down black acrylic paint. This adds some more contrast, and also adds to the messy factor!


Here are some closeups of the finished cover so that you can see all of the details…


I created those flowers by stamping onto the scraps of a background that I had left over from cutting a title for a previous layout! So make sure you don’t throw away your scraps, because you can use them to create your own die cuts like this!


I used one of the phrases from the ‘All the Good Things’ Foam Thickers pack as a title, and I also added a sticker that says ‘Let the Good Times Roll’. These were the perfect phrases for this mini book!


Underneath the title I created a little cluster using one the cute birds from the ephemera pack, and a few more of my die cut flowers.


I finished the cover off by adding a couple of the enamel dots from the Finishing Embellishments pack, and a strip of thin washi tape down the edge of the spine.

Thanks so much for joining me today! I hope that you’ve been inspired to play with your Junque Journal too!

Here’s a complete list of the Vicki Boutin products that I used to create this…
Junque Journal
Gesso
Color Pop Acrylic Paint – Set 3
Iridescent Glaze
Stencils
Stamps & Dies – Set 2
Mister Bottles
Cardstock Stickers – Words
Thickers – Phrase/Glitter Foam
Cardstock Die-Cuts – Icons
Self-Adhesive Finishing Embellishments
Washi Tape


No comments:

Post a Comment