Today I'm going to share a page that I created in my Vicki Boutin Junque Journal! I chose to use the insert that has a flap that opens outwards, as I wanted this page to have an interactive element to it. This was from the Mixed Media White Paper Refill pack. I then had lots of fun adding mixed media to both the inside and the outside pages of the insert using the Color Pop acrylic paints, the new circle stamps, and a stencil!
So let’s start with taking a look at what I did on the front of the flap. (This is the part that you can see when the flap is closed)…
Here are the steps that I used to create the background for this page…
1) First I chose three colours of acrylic paint and squeezed a small amount of each colour directly onto the page. (The colours I used were Saltwater Taffy, Daiquiri Ice, and Juicy Pear). Then, using an old gift card, I distributed the paint around the page, allowing the colours to mix together a little as I did this. I hadn’t tried this technique before, so I was really just experimenting to see what kind of effect I would get, and I love how it turned out!
2) Once this had dried, I added a thin layer of white gesso over the top, just to tone down the colours a little. And I also added a little bit more of the Daiquiri Ice paint over the top.
3) Next I added some thin strips of torn washi tape onto the background to add some texture.
4) Then I used the new circle stamp set and some black archival ink to add a few black circles to the background.
5) Using some black acrylic paint, and one of the Vicki Boutin paintbrushes, I then added some dashes to the background in three different areas. I like how the black paint provides some nice contrast to the page!
6) Next I used the Vicki Boutin stencil with the little flowers on it, and I applied some texture paste through it.
7) Lastly I added some white splatters using some watered down gesso.
Here’s a closeup look at all those layers and details on the background…
Once I had finished my background, I added my photo, which I matted with one of the die cut frames from the ‘All the Good Things’ collection. I mounted the photo up on some craft foam to give it some extra dimension. I also tucked a tab sticker under the right hand side of the photo.
I added some die cut leaves under the top left hand corner of the photo, which helps to add to the ‘nature’ theme. I also adhered the die cut word ‘love’ above the photo, and I used that as the title.
I finished it off by adding a few of the little watercolor stickers around the page. I’m very happy with how this turned out!
Next, I was ready to start working on the inside of the insert. Here’s a look at the completed pages…
I wanted both the inside and outside pages to look cohesive, so I used the same colours, and some of the same techniques. I created the background in the same way that I did on the front, by using the gift card to apply the paint to the background. This time though I only used the Daiquiri Ice and the Juicy Pear. I also added some stamping to the background using the circle stamp set with both black and coloured ink. I used one of the inks from the cool tones colour wheel to create the blue circles. I kept the embellishing on this page fairly minimal, and just added a couple of die cuts, and a few little butterfly stickers from the watercolor sticker pack.
Once that page was complete, I moved over to the left hand page. I covered this page with a few of the patterned papers from the ‘All the Good Things’ collection (Positive Note, The Little Things, and Pretty Words). Next I matted my photo with the reverse side of the Soul Food paper, and once again I used craft foam to give the photo some more dimension. I also layered a couple of die cuts from the collection behind my photo.
I typed my journaling on my typewriter and then cut it up into strips, to add to my layout.
Then I was done! Here’s a look at how it looks in my Junque Journal…
If you’d like to watch me create these pages, you can check out my process video here…
And here’s a list of all of the Vicki Boutin products that I used to create these Junque Journal pages…
Junque Journal Refills – White Paper
Color Pop Acrylic Paint – Set 2
Color Pop Acrylic Paint – Set 3
Color Wheel Pigment Ink – Cool Tones
Stamps & Dies – Set 3
Cardstock Die-Cuts – Icons
Cardstock Die-Cuts – Frames
Double-Sided Patterned Paper – Pretty Words
Double-Sided Patterned Paper – The Little Things
Double-Sided Patterned Paper – Soul Food
Double-Sided Patterned Paper – Postive Note